We all experience stress. We all go through stressful situations in our lives.
Life is stressful. As human beings we need a certain degree of stress to function, to learn and to grow but we don’t need to add unnecessary worry, pain and stress to our lives.
In small quantities, stress is good because it can motivate us and help us be more productive. However, too much stress, or a strong response to stress, is harmful. Stress can come from any situation or thought that makes us feel frustrated, angry, or anxious.
When stress gets too much and spirals out of control it affects our whole being.
How stressed are you?
Go through this check-list, answer the questions and rate each point 1 out of ten, (one being not stressed and ten being super stressed).
When you wake up in the morning, before getting out of bed, do a quick body scan.
Be aware of how your body feels.
- Is there any physical pain that is causing you stress?
- Do you feel like your body is strained from over exertion the day before?
- Do you feel drained and exhausted and lacked a good night’s rest?
- Do you feel anxious for the day ahead?
All of these messages are signs of stress levels in your body.
- Is there something you are worrying about?
- Can you not sleep at night because you still run through your to-do list?
- What consumes your thoughts the most? Are they stressful and negative thoughts or are they happy and positive thoughts most of the time?
Checking in with your emotions is a good indication as to how stressed you are.
- Do you have angry outbursts over the little things?
- Do you feel as if you are on the brink of tears most of the time?
- Do you catch yourself muttering under your breath and feeling irritated constantly?
- Are there relationships in your life that you would like to improve on?
- Is there anyone you need to forgive, (including yourself)?
- Are you holding onto any unwanted emotions?
- Are you placing power in other people where the choice and power actually lies within you?
- Are your relationships serving you and feeding your soul?
- Do you have a history of health problems?
- Is there anything you would like to do differently with regards to your health?
- Are your unhealthy lifestyle habits causing concern for yourself or for your loved ones?
What is missing?
- What do you feel is missing from your life?
- Is this void causing you anxiety or strain?
Often when we are stressed our healthy eating habits go out the window. Do you feel like you need to eat for energy? Are you craving breads, carbohydrates & sugar?
Or perhaps you are not eating at all? Maybe you don’t have an appetite or don’t have time to eat? Notice your cravings and eating habits and see if they have changed for any particular reason. Be aware if you have picked up weight or becoming really skinny.
Do what you love, love what you do.
- Do you enjoy your job?
- Do you enjoy the place that you work at and the people that surround you?
- Would you like to change your job in some way?
- Does your work reflect your most important values?
- Is there anything you would like to do differently with regards to your work and career?
- How does your everyday work affect your levels of stress?
Your dreams and desires
We all have dreams, we all have passions and we all have a gift that we bring to the world! Are you living yours?
If you rated most of these checks closer to ten then look at what is causing the most tension and anxiety in your life. The first thing you can do to alter your stress levels is to become aware of the cause of your stress. From there anything is manageable!
Written by Sharni Quinn for the Love Health Blog